Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Why I took "Class Matters" and Reflections

     
          After realizing I did the first post wrong, I want to give a little explanation as to why I took interest in this class. During my senior year, I took a class called "Current Issues" and I was actually really angry that I got that class as my elective because I had "senioritis" and felt it was pointless. But that class turned out to be one of my favorite classes out of all my four years and I still talk with the teacher to this day.

         We talked about various topics such as global warming, the worth of higher education, the military, the police, and income inequality. The latter stuck out the most to me because I started to realize how important and prevalent it was in our society. In one article we read, Paul Krugman stated that we were living in the "New Gilded Age." That was really scary to hear because although the Gilded Age was lavish for the Robber Barons it was hell for everyone else.

       So, when I saw this as a first-year writing option I found it interesting and was a little unsure of what to expect. But so far, being in the class has made me think a lot more of what I thought I knew and to be more open and to try to not form ideas so quickly about people. It's made me challenge my own beliefs and even my friends from home. I'm from "The South" so being in "The North" is a big culture shock to me. However, I don't entirely relate to "Southern ideas" because my parents emigrated from Africa and so I was brought up differently than most of my peers. This class has made me think and reflect on my entire life. Which is nice but a bit stressful as well. I've become more open and curious to hearing other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment